Charleston Design Inspiration: past, present, future

Traveling is a necessity to me. I am not over exaggerating. 

The "Rona" has cancelled many of my plans, but no one puts baby in a corner...

Traveling is important to me in both a personal and professional way. I have been dying to get away for months and with the relaxed rules, recently my sister and I took a long weekend trip in Charleston and The Isle of Palms, SC. Professionally: I just needed a mental break and a change of scenery from the current chaos of the world. I realize that not everyone has that luxury, so I am very thankful for my ability to travel and take this break. 

Saint Phillips Church: 1836

Welcome to the Holy City: Charleston, SC

This name comes from the skyline, which is filled with towering church steeples rather than skyscrapers. 

The point of this blog is to show you how travel inspires me and my work. 

Looking at the first photo and the city as a whole: I love the comparison of natural versus manmade and how they come together to make up the landscape of the city. 

It is an example of contrast: A principle of art that refers to the arrangement of opposite elements (light vs. dark colors, rough vs. smooth textures, large vs. small shapes, etc.) in a piece so as to create visual interest, excitement and drama.

Contrast creates a dynamic image, design, and even culture. 

Hand painted sign inside the bar

One of my favorite places we visited was a bar called Henry's on Market. Established in 1932, Henry’s is the oldest continuous restaurant in Charleston and the state of South Carolina. It has acted as a grocery store, speakeasy during Prohibition, and a restaurant/bar/live music venue. 


This shows the original bar that served as the speakeasy back in the 1930s. This place was so inspiring in the way that they have preserved the history, while making it current and exciting. Like there was a line of people of all ages (21+ that is) trying to get in for some craft cocktails and music. 

Eleve Rooftop Bar
me at Saint Phillips lol
The Mills House Hotel: 1853

Other design elements that I found during my stay is color, shapes, and lines. 
I was surprised to see a lot of my own brand colors in the streets such as peachy pinks and greens. 

I feel like the use of bold colors is refreshing and unique. I feel challenged to experiment with different shades and hues in my work after seeing "rainbow row" and The Mills House Hotel aka "the pink hotel". 

Charleston is home to thousands of historic buildings designed in an array of period styles, including Colonial, Georgian, Regency, Federal, Adamesque, Classical Revival, Greek Revival, ItalianateGothic Revival, and Queen Anne, as well as a number of others. 

With all this architecture, I find inspiration in the form of shapes and lines. 

Shapes, lines and color make up a composition. 


This final photo really shows the contrast of the past and present and their unification for the future. This is one of the oldest churches in Charleston. In fact, the green lawn is actually a mass burial site for victims of yellow-fever (I think? some kind of pandemic). This church is now known for its inclusivity in various communities. 

Growing up in church and being a Christian, one thing that has always stood out to me about the faith is that He wants us to "come as we are". This may seem off subject but this me, my history, and my experiences as well as my work. 

...................................

Overall, I just feel like traveling is a refresher for the eyes and the spirit. I come back feeling renewed and reenergized. I think that is something everyone needs, no matter the profession. 

Everyone can benefit from getting a different perspective and perhaps also a good tan;)







Comments

Popular Posts